Saturday 9 April 2011

Beware Green Lantern’s Light!

 

If you know me, you know that I grew up on the stories and illustrations of comics. It was the medium that ignited my artistic spark (heck, I chose Architecture as my career after I created a model of the Batcave and Wayne Manor). So you should understand why any film adaption of comic books excites the 10 year old kid inside me.

When I heard Green Lantern was coming to the big screen, I was of course overly enthused (Thor and Captain America notwithstanding). When I finally saw the initial trailer I thought Warner Brothers and DC made an error in judgment. It seemed that they wanted there own Iron Man movies with all the laughs and “pretty things”. Also, Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern seemed like a poor fit, his personality seemed more in tune to that of Wally West (The Flash). I expected a disaster.

Then Wondercon came around and DC showed this footage for the film. It reminded me that we are dealing with a Warner Brothers and DC in a post ‘Batman Begins’ and ‘The Dark Knight’ era.The footage is nothing short of epic. From the trailer we see that the movie will feature the planet of OA, a full Green lantern CORPS inclusive of the Guardians and three villains, Hector Hammond, Parallax and Sinestro (which seem to be following in the foot steps of the Nolan films to include three villains in each film). The most  notable character shown however is Amanda Waller which could hint at tie-ins with future DC movies especially Superman and Justice League.

I am no longer disappointed.

 

“We are the CORPS!”